Saturday, April 14, 2007

Saturday Morning

April 14, 2007 8:20AM


I fell asleep on the couch again last night. That's about the fourth time this week that I've passed out as soon as the kids were in bed. The thunderstorm woke me up at 4AM this morning so it hasn't been all that bad. It was nice to be up so early and able to relax with some peace and quiet. I've needed it after this week.

I am so glad I only have a week left at Coffee O. It's amazing: just the known fact that I am leaving has already started the place spiraling into shambles. Rusty is freaking out and can't seem to pull it together. Everytime I offer him solutions he comes up with more problems. Mostly they're stress induced but a lot has to do with the fact that he knows he's not only going to have to work shifts but train someone on managerial duties.

I hate to see him this way. He's been so happy the last couple of months with profits increasing 23% for my tenure but we all know that it won't be long for them to plummet again without the efficiency that I bring to the table. Still, it's his own doing. He should have been looking for someone the moment I took the job. I told him that it would be temporary, that I would continue looking for something better, and if an opportunity arose I would jump on it. He's got one week left.

On the new job: my position has already changed. No longer will I be working intake. They are starting me off as a scan clerk. Brian says that it could work out great because they are going to be looking for a team lead in that department soon. All the more reason to master it quickly. It's nice knowing that not only will I get holidays off, benefits, and better pay but there will still be room to advance. As underpayed as I am now I still make far more than anyone else employed by Rusty. I make more money in straight pay than any of my employees would working time and a half. (But then again, I don't think Rusty pays anyone overtime unless they threaten to sue him like John, Ryan, and I did.) And even if I don't advance it's still a better job and I'll be getting valued experience. One more quality to add to my resume'.

On the homefront: everything, with the exception of money which is quite tight right now, is going okay. Aidan has been a bit whiney lately, though. He'll cry over little things if he doesn't get his way. For example: last night Brandy cooked dinner but he wanted me to, and he got so mad that he started to cry. Brandy says he's being manipulative and I agree. We made him sit in his room until he "decided to be happy."

Other than that he's great. He's growing up so fast. There's this little girl in his class that he has a crush on and, knowing he's only four, I asked him if he liked her and he said, "Daddy, I love her." Love? I thought. He probably doesn't know the difference. So I asked him, "How do you know it's love?" And he replied, "Because my heart beats hard when I'm near her." Oh my God, I melted!

Rowan is showing tons of improvement socially and verbally, I decided that I am going to speak to him as though he is normal in one on one situations. He doesn't always respond to questions or directions but is doing so increasingly more often. Whereas before he wouldn't respond at all. Even when he doesn't respond he usually indicates that he understands my requests but is choosing not to comply. It's still a major step.

It seems like not that long ago that I would come home from work and he wouldn't even lift up his head to look up at me. Now he comes running from the other side of the house as soon as the door opens, and demands hugs and playtime for the next hour. He needs and craves our attention. As long as we continue to nurture and encourage this behavior he might make leaps and bounds with other people outside our immediate household.

Here, too, is another great aspect of my new job. Working 9:30 AM to 6:30PM the boys will see me in the morning and at bedtime. It looks like it should work out for everyone except Rusty. One more week!

No comments: