Monday, August 14, 2006

Vewrmont Life Part III

August 12, 2006 3:36 PM EST

I'm on the top deck of the summit lodge on top of Mt. Snow. Man, the view is awesome! It's too bad the lodge and upstairs bar are closed because onlay a beer could satisfy me more than the view after the long hike up.

Joe made me proud. He made it all the way with me and we are looking at making the nearly vertical descent down the north face. The route we took up was no means easy. Instead of taking the hiking trails we went straight up the ski trail. We took a few breaks along the way but most were in the beginning. Once Joe got his wind and climbing legs he became a trooper. I really didn't have any problems but I did have to catch short 60 second rests after the really steep parts.

There's a wedding about to start here at the summit lodge and all I can think is the girls are going to freeze their panties off with the way the wind whips off the north face. At the base the temparature is about 75 degrees and up here it's got to be 42-46 degrees. Right now all the girls are hiding in the lodge which I believe they rented.

Well, breaks over. Time to descent!


5:26 PM EST

Well the descent was precisly straight down. We're on the access road at the base of the mountain heading back to Bratt. We chose Rip Chord as our way down partly because it went halfway down the north face and then cut back uphill towards lodge side, and it's also the only double black diamond on the mountain. We had roughly a 65-70 degree grade climbing down over rocky terrain through 4 1/2 foot high grass. It was slow going but fun as hell. I hope my pics turn out good enough to see how steep the headwall was. It was steep!! Joe was a little surprised that he had to work hard on the way down but he didn't complain any. All in all, I'm glad I got him out. We had a great time!


6:39 PM EST

I guess we got here too late for dinner. I'll probably eat something later. I got my coffee, got a smoke, and I suppose that's all I really need. Rob and I are supposed to go grocery shopping tonight. That should help my belly a bit.

We're in the basement and the guys are jamming. Gives them time to focus on the band and me time to write, right? It's a little sad. They're playing Alternate Eden: a song I wrote about 9 years ago. I was looking at their play list for the music fest and the most recent song they're playing was written 2 1/2 years ago. Rob deserves so much better. He probably knows by now that his brothers will never get out of their parents' basement. Hell, we both knew it over a decade ago when we quit the band. Well, if it makes him happy after work I guess but he could easily establish himself with a band set on touring and actually bringing in money. The other night I played some of John Beebee's and Steven H.'s music and he really liked both of them. The boy just needs direction and I'm sure his talent will take over and skyrocket him to success.

No comments: