Thursday, August 17, 2006

Vermont Life Part VI



August 17, 2006 5:19 PM EST

I'm back at Mocha Joes. The eggplant was delicious. It looks like I'm skipping out on dinner tonight, though. They're going to be serving it any minute and I just now got downtown, It's okay. I can fend for myself just fine. (I'm eating a blonde brownie the barista dubiously called a "Congo Bar") Besides, I could use the privacy.

After dinner last night Ashlyn stayed over at Rob's parents house and I actually managed to get him out of the house for a few beers. We weren't out long, however, when Rob insisted we go home where we could drink for far cheaper. We talked for a bit but he jumped on the computer to show me something, ended up playing a game, and got sleepy enough for bed soon after. I didn't stay up too late once Rob went to bed. I knew we had a physical day ahead.

This morning we picked up Ashlyn and headed straight for Wantastiquet Mt. The climb was okay. We took the long winding way up because Rob didn't want Ashlyn to do anything dangerous. I understood but man was it long! It would have been much funner taking the mountain head on but we didn't even do that last year when it was me, Rob, and Brandy climbing it.

For the descent I broke away from the two of them so I could take the rugged straight down approach. What ended up happening is when I got to the bottom I called to see how far down they were. They were only halfway down, off the trail, and semi-lost. I climbed straight back up to them and warned him against trying to go down the way I came because it was a straight vertical thirty foot drop off. That was easily the best part of our hike when I scaled the wall to get up to them. If Rob had taked Ashlyn all the way to the drop off it would have been difficult for her to climb back up to another area. We hiked along the side of the mountain until we eventually ran into the trail again. So after a quick bath and shave here I am.



I'm going to see how long I can wander around downtown resisting shopping. There's an open mic tonight at the Mole's Eye Cafe at 8:30 and I figure I could check it out. It beats sitting around doing nothing. Hopefully, there will be a few good entertainers but with the small talent pool of eastern New England I'm not counting on it. All the good singers/bands are probably playing gigs for money, not making appearances at small town open mic sessions.

No comments: